Sunday, February 03, 2008

When you lose your purse

Yesterday morning, my next door neighbor knocked on my door, looking pale-faced.

“Can I borrow 100 yen to take shower? I have lost my purse.” He asked. (We need to insert a 100 Yen coin for hot water).

Slipping 100 Yen into his hands, I enquired where he lost his wallet.

“It might have fallen down between here and the 24 Hour-open Supermarket last night. I went to search for it now and even asked the staff at the supermarket, but they have not found it.” He answered.

“Did you have money in it?” I asked.

“Yes. I had 40,000 yen (around 350 dollars) in it.” He answered.

“That is not a small amount. You better go to the police station as soon as possible. Normally Japanese give it to the police if they find lost things like purse.” I suggested.

“Yes, I will be going there after taking shower.” He said.

Later, when I was in my lab, I saw him online on msn messenger. We chatted.

Me: Hey man, did you go to the police station?

He: Yepe

Me: Did you get your wallet?

He: Yepe (^-^)

Me: That is great. I am so happy to hear that.

He: Japanese people are great. Nothing lost. All money is intact.

Me: I am really impressed. This is something good about Japan.

He: Yeah. Me too.

In Japan, if you lose your purse, there is a very high chance that you will get it back. Last year, there was an English lady who said she lost her purse thrice in Japan and thrice she got it back.

Then there is my 78-year old retired doctor friend whose failing memory made him lose his wallet two times, each time with around 1,000 dollars in it, and twice he got it back. He says, “Japanese are educated to return the things that they find to the rightful owner from when they are very young. One day, one of my granddaughters had found a 100 yen coin and taken it to the police. Apparently baffled, but not to discourage the child from doing the right thing, the police officer had received it, but he had given her 100 yen from his own pocket as a token of thanks.”

On the other hand, in Bhutan, there is a kind of silent belief that if you find something, it is yours to keep. I think this belief needs to be changed. A kind of re-education in this regard is necessary

I lost my wallet once in Bhutan and never got it back. Money aside, the pain of re-making the driver’s license and the bank card was too much. If we learn the trait of returning found things to the rightful owner or to the police, it will make our society much better. That may be one of the traits expected of a GNH society. What do you think?

1 comment:

Tashi Wangmo said...

Lovely story, Cigay! Sends out good moral message to our people :)

Restoring the only surviving photograph of Trashigang Lama Neten Sonam Dorji from Bartsham (circa 1901 - 1968)

  During the early to mid-twentieth century, when Bhutan was under the reign of the First King and the Second King, just before the country ...