Tuesday, February 03, 2009

On the journey of our life

Having born in this world, we are all on our individual journey called life. Our journey has begun. We are all traveling this great journey now. And until this great journey ends, we study, we play, we lie, and we work and make love. Sometimes we also meet new people who sometimes leave big impressions on our mind.

On my way back to Japan last October, I had a transit in Dhaka. After bearing all the hassles of transiting, I at last boarded my Thai Airways flight to Bangkok. I was adjusting myself in my seat when a neatly dressed Bengali guy ushered in a poorly dressed nervous looking guy to the seat next to mine.

Wearing a faded T-Shirt and blue cotton pants, he might have been my age. But he looked older. His cracked hands told the story of a tough struggle. He carried no hand luggage, except for a yellow file. The well-dressed Bengali guy said something to him in a commanding tone which probably meant “This is where you remain seated until we get to the destination.”

He looked at me nervously. I smiled. An understanding smile, not a condescending one. Such empathy is natural for me. Probably I owe it to my own humble upbringing and growing up in a Buddhist environment. He adjusted his seat belts clumsily. Maybe it was his first flight.

After sometime, the neatly dressed guy was again passing through the aisle. My seat mate raised his hand and called to him. He had wanted to ask him something. But the neat man simply pretended not to hear.

The plane began to taxi for take-off. My new friend seemed more comfortable now. We somehow found ourselves trying to strike up a conversation.

In Hindi, it was. My Hindi is very very poor, and his was poorer. Limited to few words, we somehow began.

Me: “Name?”

He: “Mohammad”.

Me: “Me”, pointing to myself, I said, “Cigay.”

He: “Going where?”

Me: “Japan.”

He: “Why?”

Me: “Study”.
Me: “You, going where?”

He: “Malaysia. To work in the construction and factory there.”

Me: “You from Dhaka?”

He: “No. My home, one day by bus from Dhaka.”

Me: “You wife and kids?”

He: “Yes. Wife and one kid at home.”

Me: “I also, wife and kid at home. Same Same!”

Me: “When? Come back Bangladesh?”

He: “One year, two years. Don’t know. Need money.”

And as we conversed with our limited common vocabulary and sign language, we both felt a strange sense of camaraderie. We were both going away to foreign lands, leaving behind our families, in order to pursue our dreams.

As I laid back to take a nap, my friend was looking out of the window, on the white clouds below, that rose like mountains of white cotton. Probably, inside those endlessly rolling billows, he was seeing his wife and kid smiling and waiting for him in front of their thatched hut, some where by the bamboo groves by the side of a rural river.

And as I rolled back against my inclining seat, I also plunged myself into a reverie of my family back home. When I awoke, it was time to land at Bangkok.

Before we disembarked, we shook hands. I wished him safe journey on his connecting flight to Malaysia, and good luck and success in his new job in a new land. He seemed very pleased and happy. He made a gesture of thanking his God. And he wished me the same.

I was waiting for my next flight to Osaka inside the Airport, when I saw him again. This time, he was in long queue of Bengali men – all like him holding a yellow file each, led by the neatly dressed guy. He saw me too. He waved at me smiling. I smiled and waved at him.

Then my eyes slowly drifted from the long line of Bengali men holding yellow files to the myriad of other travelers – white, black, brown, yellow, fat, slim, ugly, beautiful, all in hurry - all wanting to be happy and avoid suffering. Then my mind finally rested on myself. And I thought, “We all. Same, Same!”

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

after reading the post,all I have to say is that I profoundly sympathise all those people who have to leave their home ,families,own people insearch of better living,education,money etc. abroad specially people fom Third world countries!!

anu said...

Your writing shown that you are really considerate about people around you!!

Unknown said...

Hi!
I was wondering if you can help me.
I have been searching endlessly for a language kit to learn Dzongkha and I can't find any especially here in Malaysia. Any recommendations?
Many Thanks and warmst regards always.
Jancy

Lingchen Dorji said...

Hello there! It's me, Lingchen. It was a pleasant surprise to have come across your wonderful blog.
Now I have created one myself.
Your articles are really inspiring. Please keep posting.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://qegitafolu.kogaryu.com/nemymif.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ytekuxox.freewebportal.com/afasaw.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Kara Bay said...

I stumbled across your blog and I love your writing. I hope you will begin posting again, as I would love to read more of your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my blog to get additional info.

[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Restoring the only surviving photograph of Trashigang Lama Neten Sonam Dorji from Bartsham (circa 1901 - 1968)

  During the early to mid-twentieth century, when Bhutan was under the reign of the First King and the Second King, just before the country ...